Education Portfolio Associate
The Portfolio Associate role is a unique opportunity to make an impact, learn about the education and nonprofit world, and gain the skills and experiences to be a future leader in the sector. The objective of One8’s Education Portfolio is to transform classrooms and instruction to prepare students for success in a rapidly changing, high tech world, focusing on STEM, 21st century skills and applied learning opportunities. Associates contribute to this effort by supporting nonprofits run by ambitious leaders pursuing high-impact ideas in education, through projects such as strategic planning, program evaluation, implementation planning, and due diligence. The role offers a rich learning experience including formal Professional Development opportunities, informal networking and exposure to some of the most prominent leaders in the state. Associates often go on to top graduate schools and leadership positions at various non-profits.
Founded in 2006, One8 aims to accelerate and bolster the success of nonprofit organizations in its priority grantmaking areas – Education and Jewish Community/Israel. The organizations that One8 believes are most promising have game-changing ideas, excellent leaders, high-fidelity implementation, measurable impact, and sustainable approaches. One8 also funds direct community support to assist children and families in need and help them improve their own lives.
The Foundation’s trustees have high risk tolerance and are committed to impact. The Foundation is committed to providing consequential support to nonprofits that demonstrate the greatest potential for large-scale, lasting change. The principles that guide its work include:
- Going deep through rigorous due diligence
- Developing the capacity of grantee leaders
- Piloting exemplars to demonstrate what is possible
- Scaling impactful programs with proven results
- Supporting and sharing research that enables insight and continuous improvement
The Education Portfolio is oriented around the idea that an outstanding education should be available to all, regardless of zip code. One8 identifies, supports and scales high impact programs and approaches that help schools and teachers prepare students for success in a rapidly changing, high tech world.
THE PORTFOLIO ASSOCIATE POSITION
Portfolio Associates are responsible for helping to identify potential grant opportunities through robust due diligence of investment areas and organizations, providing consulting or strategic planning support for grantees, and conducting research on areas of interest to build the foundations’ internal knowledge. Associates report to Portfolio Managers and split time working across multiple projects within the Education portfolio. Associates will have broad exposure to the education sector and become active members in the collaborative One8 culture that includes monthly education team meetings, continual brainstorming and knowledge sharing.
Associate responsibilities include:
- Conduct research and due diligence on potential investment areas and organizations.
- Perform all necessary analyses, which may include benchmarking, financial modeling, competitive assessment, and analysis of organizational outcomes.
- Assess quality and sustainability of organizational leadership, strategic plans, and business models.
- Develop and maintain a deep understanding of the One8 Foundation’s areas of concentration; scour sources to get smart on organizations and issue areas.
- Assist in development and refinement of strategic, business and/or implementation plans in partnership with leaders from grantee organizations and/or potential grantees.
- Participate in strategic planning sessions, which focus on issues such as theory of change, model codification, strategic priorities, articulation of outcomes, etc.
- Provide strategic and “block & tackle” support to grantees in the execution of strategic plans, offering analysis and advice on program implementation, outcomes, finances, human capital and other areas.
- Foster strong working relationships and effective channels of communication with leaders from both grantee organizations and potential grantees.
- Prepare investment papers for the One8 Foundation’s board meetings.
Qualified candidates will possess:
- A strong belief that the cycle of poverty can be broken and that life outcomes of children can be dramatically improved with a high-quality education and appropriate supports.
- 2-4 years of experience in an Analyst or Associate role at a top tier consulting firm. Strong candidates with 1 year of experience will be considered.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct research, analyze and interpret programmatic, management and financial information, and sift through information to unearth relevant implications and opportunities.
- Strong and creative problem-solving capabilities.
- A strong commitment to act, break down barriers and be part of the solution.
- Strong interpersonal skills; demonstrated ability to collaborate with diverse people and organizations.
- A love of learning and achievement and the desire and skills to help others succeed.
- Self-motivation, ability to work independently, take initiative and solve problems.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and attention to detail; ability to produce high impact work product in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
One8 Foundation is Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position. Target salary for this position is $85,000 to $100,000, commensurate with experience.
By submitting this online application form, you consent to be contacted via email with important updates and other information from RCG Talent Solutions